Sports

Former Barcelona star Dani Alves jailed four years and six months for r@pe

Dani Alves was found guilty of raping a lady at a nightclub in Spain and sentenced to four and a half years in prison.

Driven to court in a police vehicle, the disgraced former Barcelona player was informed this morning that he had been found guilty at the Barcelona court where he was tried earlier this month.

As a convicted sex offender, the 40-year-old father of two will now spend his first night in prison.

Upon his arrest in January of last year, he was detained on remand at Brians 2 Prison, which is located close to the Catalan city.

After taking the stand on the final day of his three-day trial at Barcelona’s Audiencia Provincial court, Alves declared his innocence on February 7.

Former Barcelona star Dani Alves jailed four years and six months for r@pe

He acknowledged that he had sex with his 23-year-old accuser in a restroom at the upscale Barcelona nightclub Sutton on December 30, 2022, but he maintained that it was consensual.

When she spoke in court behind a screen, the lady he was found guilty of raping acknowledged that Alves had pushed himself on her.

Recalling how the victim was “crying uncontrollably” after exiting the small restroom where the assault occurred, a friend who was with her that night broke down in tears.

In the event that Alves was found guilty, state prosecutors had requested a nine-year prison sentence; however, a private prosecutor for the victim had requested a 12-year imprisonment sentence throughout the trial.

Judicial officials confirmed today: ‘Daniel Alves has been sentenced to four and a half years in prison after being convicted of sexual assault.

‘The court also ordered him to stay away from his victim for nine and a half years and determined he should pay his victim 150,000 euros and pay costs.

‘The sentence says it has been proved the victim didn’t consent and there is proof supporting the victim’s testimony to consider the rape has been proven.’

The fact Alves deposited the compensation he has now been ordered to pay was taken into account as a mitigating factor in determining his sentence.

The three judges said it had been proven Alves ‘grabbed hold of the victim, threw her on the ground and prevented her from moving while he penetrated her, despite her saying ‘no’ and insisting she wanted to leave.’

They said in their 61-page ruling the victim had acted coherently during the investigation and the trial that followed it and nothing in any of her court quizzes had revealed any contradictions.

Alves, who became the oldest player to represent Brazil at the World Cup in December 2022 in Qatar, was ordered to stand trial last November.

Initially, it was reported he had been accused of putting his hands down a woman’s underwear inside a toilet in the VIP area of Sutton nightclub before it emerged his victim was saying she had been raped.

He was sacked by Mexican side UNAM Pumas following his arrest in Barcelona at the start of last year after he flew back to the Catalan capital to attend his mother-in-law’s funeral.

He made repeated bail requests after being remanded in jail but they were all turned down, with judges saying his victim’s version of events was coherent and pointing out Alves had changed his story several times as the evidence authorities against him emerged.

Alves claimed before his arrest he had never met his female accuser but ended up backtracking after being held.

In an exclusive interview from his cell in Brians 2 Prison near Barcelona last June with Spanish TV and newspaper reporter Mayka Navarro, he claimed: ‘The only person I have to ask for forgiveness is my wife, Joana Sanz.’

As well as two spells at Barcelona, Alves has played for Seville, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain and Sao Paulo.

He is widely considered one of the greatest full-backs of all time.

At the start of the year, his mum Lucia Alves caused controversy and left herself open to future prosecution by naming and picturing her son’s rape accuser in a social media post she later removed.

She attended his trial, held from February 5 to 7, along with Alves’ brothers.

Akosua Boatemaa

I'm Yours Truly, Blogger Akosua Boatemaa. I'm here to feed Your eyes and Ears with Authentic News Updates.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please turn off your Ads Blocker to better serve you and provide you with the best.