22 people hospitalised after eating food at funeral
22 residents of Agou, a farming village in the Nkwanta South of the Oti Region, have been admitted to hospitals for what is thought to be food poisoning.
They claim that after eating at a funeral on Sunday morning, the victims had extreme diarrhea and other symptoms.
While nine others have also been admitted to the Nkwanta St. Joseph Catholic Hospital, 13 of them have been admitted to Nkwanta South Municipal.
All of the patients arrived with complaints of extreme diarrhea and vomiting, according to an interview with Dr. Theophilus Amoatey, Medical Superintendent of Nkwanta Municipal Hospital.
All of the patients are responding well to therapy, he told Obrempongba Owusu of Adom News.
The victims reportedly received meals including oatmeal, rice, Banku, meat, and Pito, a locally produced beverage made from wheat and maize, according to sources.
He said that while a team of disease control management had been sent to the neighborhood for a full inquiry, their samples had been sent to a lab for analysis.
The majority of the patients at St. Joseph Catholic Hospital, according to the nursing officer and staff members who were on duty when they were admitted, were not in any life-threatening situations.
However, several of the patients and family members questioned from the two hospitals claimed that after consuming rice, banku, and meat, they had severe stomach discomfort and diarrhea.